Democratic Platform – Denver Convention 20080
Here is a clip from the Associated Press that summarizes the Obama campaign and Democratic platform in which they will run on this coming November.
“In one of their first orders of business, delegates ratified a party platform tailored to Obama’s specifications. It backs “complete redeployment within 16 months from Iraq,” as well as health care for all, a new economic stimulus package and higher taxes on families earning over $250,000 a year.
“The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right,” it said.
Let’s break down the above two paragraphs:
1) complete redeployment within 16 months from Iraq – This seems un-realistic; Everyone would like to get our troops home as quickly as possible, but 16 months? What kind of vacuum would this leave? It seems there are a whole bunch of other factors that would determine a safe a timely withdraw vs. a complete redeployment within a specified time table.
2) health care for all – WOW! So first, we are talking about socialized medicine. And we are saying we want the same kind of crappy medical system that Canada or France have. Everyone will have to wait six months to visit a doctor or get a tooth pulled. Just read some blogs from other countries that have socialized medicine. Anyone that thinks this won’t favor the rich that can pay for expedited treatment is not living in reality. Secondly, we’re asking the American tax payer to settle for less health care so that we can pay for illegal immigrants and everyone that chooses to abuse the medical system. This is America and the best we can come up with is socialized medicine?
When talking about this with some of my liberal minded family members in New England. I asked why we need or should have socialized medicine. The best answer I can get is that “everyone should get free health care”. I bet this is the sentiment of the average person in favor of socialized medicine. If it’s for free it’s for me mind set.
3) a new economic stimulus package – This is political rhetoric. What does that mean? I’d like to see this in writing and I would hope that every democrat or swing voter with half a brain would ask to see this in writing before they vote. Here’s something for everyone to ponder… Bill Clinton and company gave China most favored nations status back when he was in office. This opened the door for us to start shipping our manufacturing to a country that has one of the worst human rights records on the planet. Look at how many Olympic athletes are coming out and saying they haven’t seen their families in years. (simply amazing and mind blowing) I’d like to see what both parties plan to do to bring jobs back to America while adapting to a changing world economy.
4) higher taxes on families earning over $250,000 a year – Anyone that thinks raising taxes on high wage earners is going to fix the economy is crazy. Do we want to raise taxes on the folks creating jobs? Think about this. All of our politicians earning over $250,000 are exempt from paying taxes. What we should be talking about as a nation is how are we going to lower taxes. We need to be stimulating business growth.
5) The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right,” it said. – Wow! a whole paragraph to defend Roe vs. Wade. Just think, we need to tax high wage earners to pay for all the government funded abortions we are going to render at the cost of the American tax payer. First, I wonder why this is such an important issue. Why does the federal government need to pay for free and unlimited abortions. Why is this a primary tenant in the democratic platform.
Black pastors and Christians – How can black pastors and black Christians vote for a democratic president that supports killing unborn children and then ask the American tax payer to foot the bill? If this is truly not a race issue, where are black democrats / Christian voices on this issue?
Why would free abortions and a woman’s right to choose to “kill” her baby trump national security, the mass invasion of illegal immigrants, or wide array of other issues that are much more important this?
Does this sound like a new America? or does it sound like the same old stand we’ve heard from the Democratic platform for years?
I would hope that both democrats and republicans can stop with the party positioning and start doing what’s right for our country so we can leave a lasting and worthy legacy for our children and grand-children.
What are your thoughts on the upcoming elections? What do you think our most important issues are as a nation? Share your views with our visitors.